The Golden Ticket Program is designed to assist 3 artists per year and provide product development for their art and business in the early stages of their career. Eligible artists (solo or band in all genres) must have demonstrated a commitment to their music career, showing some early successes, and a desire to take their career to the next level of development. Proven or established national and internationally touring artists are not eligible.
Highlights of this multi-faceted program are:
- Develop a short term business plan.
- Work with a Producer to record one original track at a professional studio. This component allows the artist to gain experience and confidence in the recording process with a proven team. This kind of opportunity is something that often happens later in a developing artist’s career but has a huge benefit to the development of the artist. This process will include:
- Once the recording is complete, the artist will work with the Marketing Team to “release” the single to multiple platforms. SpinCount has been hired as the team publicist. This will include:
- Developing a marketing plan
- Secure marketing platforms- Facebook, Excla!m Magazine, blog reviews, various other online platforms
- Working with a graphic designer for promo presentation and branding
- Creating lyric video
- Radio tracking for regional radio and nationally with CBC2
- Submitting single to various playlists and platforms including Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play etc.
- Developing a marketing plan
- Register the song with all various PRO’s (Performance Rights Organisations) to maximise royalty income.
- Performance coaching can be an extremely useful tool for many artists. There are very few new artists that have all the tools necessary to present a compelling performance that connects with the audience. This is normally a skill that comes with experience. Working with a proven artist or coach can help reduce that learning curve tremendously and teach the many facets required for a confident performance including use of stage, drawing the audience in, song arrangements for a live show, developing a set-list and more. This is also a critical tool when planning showcases.
- Grant writing is another important skill in an artist’s toolbox. It is possible to hire a contractor to write grants but it is important to be knowledgeable about what goes into a successful grant application, how to identify the appropriate grant sources and have an overall understanding of the process. In some cases (FACTOR) this requires a pre-registration to develop the artist profile. The artist will work closely with the program manager to develop one grant application.
- Creating Band Agreements. If the artist is a band it is crucial and an area that many young bands forget or do not understand. It can have a tremendous impact if members decide to leave, how to split up revenues, paying taxes etc.
- Advice on registering as a business, setting up dedicated bank accounts or registering for HST are areas that all artists should be aware of and the program will provide an introduction to these topics.
Each artist will be given 4 months to complete the program from beginning to end. Music PEI will accept submissions until August 31st. A short list will be created and those artists will be asked to audition. The submissions will include a rough demo of the song they wish to record, lyrics and samples of other work (recordings, videos).
Successful applicants will be selected by a jury based on their previous success, ability and commitment. This program is designed to work with performing artists, so Music PEI will be looking for artists who are committed to the potential of touring and love being on stage.
The goal is to help create 3 new businesses and give artists the tools to succeed in the music industry. This kind of incubation program can offer real results and help to expedite the learning process, sometimes by years. The key for success will be selecting the appropriate participants.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.musicpei.com. Submissions will be accepted here until August 31st at 5:00pm AST.
You must be a resident of Prince Edward Island to qualify for the Golden Ticket Program. Before applying all guidelines can be found here.
Music PEI https://www.musicpei.com/
Music PEI Golden Ticket Program Info: https://musicpei.com/investment-program/golden-ticket-program.php
Submit for the Golden Ticket Program: https://podio.com/webforms/21270961/1473960
Eligibility & Guidelines for the Golden Ticket Program: https://musicpei.com/pdfs/Golden-Ticket-Program-Eligibilty-Guidelines.pdf
Rob Oakie, Music PEI
Kimberly Sinclair, SpinCount