A dynamic and powerful album that transcends the boundaries between Cape Breton, Scottish and Acadian traditions
“Fiery… Fresh, yet totally traditional” - Piping Today Magazine (Glasgow, UK)
Ben Miller & Anita MacDonald have become renowned across Atlantic Canada and further afield for their synergistic, pipe and fiddle driven style of Gaelic dance-music. Joining together the musical traditions of Cape Breton and the Scottish Highlands, while incorporating influences from Ireland, Shetland and beyond, Ben & Anita have created a signature sound, described as “one of the most important folk acts on Cape Breton Island today,” by CBC.
For their second album, South Haven, recorded live in Cape Breton, NS, Ben & Anita have joined forces with Zakk Cormier, a talented multi-instrumentalist with deep roots in the Acadian music community of Prince Edward Island. Zakk brings his talents as a sympathetic guitar player, as well as the driving rhythm of Acadian foot-percussion.
As Miller | MacDonald | Cormier, these three young artists create a powerful sound, which transcends the boundaries between Cape Breton, Scottish, and Acadian traditions. Hear the trio this Spring as they tour the new album, South Haven, in Canada (ON, NS, PE) and the USA (NY).
MILLER | MACDONALD | CORMIER TOUR DATES:
May 18 - Ottawa, ON - House Concert
May 25 - Glens Falls, NY - The Park Theater
June 3 - Iona, NS - Malagawatch Church (Highland Village Museum)
June 14 - Vernon River, PE - Vernon River Parish Hall (Festival of Small Halls)
SOUTH HAVEN TRACK LISTINGS:
1. High Bass Set 6:25
2. Angus MacKinnon 3:49
3. O’er the Water to Charlie 2:44
4. Alasdair nan Stòp (Vocal Track) 3:29
5. Gur Milis Mòrag 3:55
6. Bonnie Mary 2:59
7. Muile nam Mòr Bheann 2:02
8. The Fowler on the Moor 3:20
*Recorded / Produced by Ben Miller; Mixed by Jamie Foulds (Soundpark Studio).
**All tracks are traditional, arranged by Ben Miller & Anita MacDonald.
***All tracks traditional / public domain.
Genre: Trad / Folk
- Coldsnap Festival - British Columbia, CAN
- Celtic Colours International Festival - Nova Scotia, CAN
- Spanish Peaks Celtic Festival - Colorado, USA
- American Folk Festival - Maine, USA
- Stratford Summer Music Festival - Ontario, CAN
- Goderich Celtic Festival - Ontario, CAN
- Campobello Fog Fest - New Brunswick, CAN
- Home County Music Festival - Ontario, CAN
- Kitchenfest! - Nova Scotia, CAN
- East Coast Music Awards - Nova Scotia, CAN
- Tønder Festival - Tønder, Denmark
- Festival of Small Halls - Prince Edward Island, CAN
- Edinburgh Fringe Festival - Edinburgh, UK
“Ben and Anita have the unique talent of taking well known, traditional tunes and giving them new life.They have a great respect and knowledge of how these tunes are to be played, but are able to inject an energy that brings them to life once again. That’s the way you keep the music alive for a new generation to discover and enjoy.” — 101.5 The Hawk, "Highland Fling" (NS, CAN)
“An entertaining and lively show, which got audience members off their feet and dancing between the tables...Full of rich traditional sound, unique to Cape Breton. Together, they form an impressive blend of freshness and tradition...True talent!” — The Inverness Oran (NS, CAN)
WATCH South Haven Album Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu42JSiWgdM
DOWNLOAD / STREAM: https://soundcloud.com/ben-anita/sets/mmc/s-6QnFp
Kimberly Sinclair | SpinCount
email@example.com | (902) 350-3968